install Kali Nethunter
Kali NetHunter is a popular open-source Android ROM penetration testing platform. The developers behind the ROM made sure it would work on Google’s older Nexus smartphones, along with older OnePlus phones and some older Samsung Galaxy phones.
Read more: Is Android just Linux?
But some entrepreneurs have found a way to install Kali NetHunter on most Android devices. Keep in mind that this method is very unofficial so you install this program on your phone at your own risk.
Prepare your phone in advance
Before downloading and installing Kali NetHunter on your Android device, it must be rooted using a program like SuperSu. You must also have the BusyBox app installed from the Google Play Store. You should also have plenty of free storage space on your Android device. Finally, custom ROMs like CM12. CM12.1 and CM13 are also good to use, but not absolutely necessary.
How to install Kali NetHunter
- Once the phone is prepared, go to the Offensive Security website and download the Kali NetHunter ROM version that matches the Android version on your device.
- Once it is done, you need to extract the zip file. Then go to /data/app and install the apps located in that folder one by one.
- Then open your favorite app explorer app and go to /data/data/com.offsec.nethunter/files/scripts.
- Copy and paste all files into /system/bin (Note: If you don’t see the folder or contents of files/scripts, open and close the NetHunter app and check again)
- Open the Nethunter app and go to Kali Chroot Manager and install “Minimal Chroot”. You can also choose “Full chroot”, but this is not recommended.
- Open Terminal Emulator or NH terminal and select “KALI”. This opens the Kali shell. You may be asked to allow root access.
- Run the following commands one by one in the terminal: apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, apt-get dist-upgrade, apt-get install kali-Linux-nethunter
Setting up metasploit in Kali NetHunter
If you really want to take full advantage of Kali NetHunter, you should also install the Metasploit test tool. To do this, run the command msfdb init, or go to the Kali Services tab in Nethunter’s main app and set it to “Start at boot”. Then type the command to actually run Metasploit msfconsole or open a tool that uses Metasploit.
Try the GUI tools in Kali NetHunter
While you can now run Kali NetHunter on your rooted Android device, you may also want to use the GUI tools. If so, you must also install and enable a VNC viewer.
- First, open Terminal and run the command apt-get install tightvncserver in Kali Terminal
- Then type the command to run VNC Server vncserver: 1 geometry 1280 × 720 depth 16
You should then be able to install and open any VNC viewer from the Google Play Store. To connect it to the Kali NetHunter GUI, set it up with the following details:
- Alias: Kali Linux
- Password: The password you set earlier
- Address: 127.0.0.1 or your private IP
- Port: 5901 (depends on the display ie for display 2 port is 5902 and so on)
- Username: root
Here’s how to install this popular ROM on your Android phone or tablet.